Total Visits since 01-01-2012:
WP 10 Biobanking documents on Quality and procedures biobanks for the
Guidelines and best practices have recommendations a high quality biobank should
strive for. The problems sketched and solutions offered can form the basis of a good
In case different institutes decide to start a cooperation and share samples, they
should go over their procedures and determine if these procedures could form an
obstacle to causing institutional bias. If so agreements should be made to avoid
collection and storage differences.
In addition one should bare in mind that before acquisition of the sample patient (pre-
)treatment and used procedure will always result in insolvable differences resulting in
Guidelines for biobanks:
- OECD (Ed.), 2007.
OECD Best Practice Guidelines for Biological Resource Centers
General Best Practice Guidelines for all BRCs. OECD, Paris.
- OECD Guidelines on Human Biobanks and Genetic Research Databases
Best practices for Biobanks:
- International Society for Biological and Environmental Repositories (ISBER), 2008.
Best practices for repositories: collection, storage, retrieval and distribution of
biological materials for research. Available from:
Cell Preserv. Technol. 6, 3–58
- NCI, 2007. NCI Best Practices for Specimen Resources. NCI, Bethesda.
- Caboux, E., Plymoth, A., Hainaut, P. (Eds.), 2007. International Network of
Biological Resource Centres for Cancer Research:
: Recommendations on Common minimalTechnical Standards.
ABN (Austrelasian Biospecimen Network) Biorepository Protocols
- The role of the pathologist in tissue banking: European Consensus Expert Group
Report. Bevilacqua G, Bosman F, Dassesse T, Höfler H, Janin A, Langer R,
Larsimont D, Morente MM, Riegman P, Schirmacher P, Stanta G, Zatloukal K,
Caboux E, Hainaut P. 2010
Virchows Arch. Feb 16.
- TuBaFrost 2: standardizing tissue collection and quality control procedures for a
European virtual frozen tissue bank network. Morente MM, Mager R, Alonso S,
Pezzella F, Spatz A, Knox K, Kerr D, Dinjens WN, Oosterhuis JW, Lam KH, Oomen
MH, van Damme B, van de Vijver M, van Boven H, Kerjaschki D, Pammer J, Lopez-
Guerrero JA, Llombart Bosch A, Carbone A, Gloghini A, Teodorovic I, Isabelle M,
Passioukov A, Lejeune S, Therasse P, van Veen EB, Ratcliffe C, Riegman PH:
Eur J Cancer 2006; 42: 2684–2691.
- Standard operating procedure for the collection of fresh frozen tissue samples.
Mager, S.R., Oomen, M.H., Morente, M.M., Ratcliffe, C., Knox, K., Kerr, D.J.,
Pezzella, F., Riegman, P.H., 2007.
Eur. J. Cancer 43, 828–834.
Saturday 25th of May 2013 05:55:10
Our founding members
Our former sponsors